Hyderabad, August 28th 2018: It was in April 2017 that K Raheja Corp along with TSIIC, GHMC, TSTDC, HMWS & SB decided to take up the makeover for the city’s iconic Durgam Cheruvu lake. With challenges which included quick re-growth of the stubborn water hyacinth and a location which was tucked in hilly terrain; the team set out to achieve a mammoth task to create a more equitable environment, through a phase-wise plan to revamp the lake, and give the city a meaningful waterfront with Durgam Cheruvu.
A little over a year since, the evening of August 28, 2018, saw the Durgam Cheruvu inaugurated by Mr. K. T. Rama Rao (Cabinet Minister for the State for Information Technology (IT), Municipal Administration and Urban Development (MAUD), Textiles and NRI Affairs), and its mighty gates thrown open for public.
The beautiful lakeside is designed while preserving its bio-diversity, capitalizing on the existing green and blue-scapes, and built meticulously with an ecologically sensitive low carbon footprint approach. While K Raheja Corp assisted with the blue-print design and funding, it was the support from TSIIC, GHMC, TSTDC, HMWS & SB and execution by experts and consultants, that the project has surpassed multiple challenges to present to the city a beautiful water-front.
Key aspects covered in phase I, in addition to the lake cleaning:
- A grand welcome plaza bas been created to provide visitors with a sense of calm.
- The water hyacinth has been completely removed, while preserving the lake and its aquatic life. The process has seen four exhaustive rounds of cleaning, thrice with JCB/EX 200 with floating barges and once with Bio-Oxytech Reclamation technology treatment.
- A 2.2kms jogging and cycling track, stone pitching to preserve the boundaries of the lake, stone sculptures, artificial waterfalls, children’s play area, yoga corner, cycle stand, gym area, children’s multi-play stations, feeding area, portable library, exotic trees, gazebos, CCTV surveillance and modular toilet facilities are all in place.
- Exotic and unique trees like Italian Cypress (Pencil pines), Braided ficus, Olive tree, Spiral Ficus, and Ficus multistem multi root etc. are planted at various locations for display.
- Classical natural stone sculptures have been installed in the courtyard area depicting modern art, with flamingos and palapitta birds being added.
- Provisions to allow the project to be self-funded have been made by creating dedicated areas for advertising along the central median.
Phase II will cover:
The next phase will include adventure walking track, amphitheatre, cable stray bridge – which is currently underway and being created by L&T, and much more. The Government is already reaching out to corporates to come forward and support the next phase of development.
Mr. K. T. Rama Rao (Cabinet Minister for the State for Information Technology (IT), Municipal Administration and Urban Development (MAUD), Textiles and NRI Affairs)said, “We are pleased to showcase the transformation of the Durgam Cheruvu Lake and are happy to have K Raheja Corp as partners for this project. With the aim of providing our citizens with an improved quality of amenities, this transformation gives them a place for rejuvenation like no other. We look forward to more corporates coming forward for the next phases of the lake transformation and making the vision we had, a complete reality.”
Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Neel Raheja, Group President, K Raheja Corp said, “To see the makeover that we envisaged for the lake turn into a reality is very gratifying. We worked against climatic challenges, ensured optimal utilization of resources and adherence to strict timelines, which has given us some great learning’s as part of our CSR commitment. I thank the Government bodies, NGO’s and expert consultant partners for their unwavering faith and support in K Raheja Corp while creating this beautiful waterfront. I make a sincere appeal to the people of the city to treat this attractive creation as their own; to be proud of it and to play their role in preserving it.”
About K Raheja Corp:
K Raheja Corp is a success story spanning six decades and stands today as one of India’s leading developers, having pioneered the concepts of self-contained townships and commercial business districts in the country. Premeditating the changes in the industry, the Company continually crafts state-of-the-art spaces to meet the ever-changing demands of the market. With business diversified across realty, hospitality retail and malls, K Raheja Corp has extensive acumen in all sectors of development. From exquisite residences to adaptive workplaces, skillfully created hotels and convention centers, to extensive retail destinations, the Company has made a significant impact on the evolution of modern-day living. K Raheja Corp delivers aspirational spaces with distinct characteristics and attributes, making each of its offerings inimitable.